Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Moto Q Key

Ok, after about 5 months of use I believe I have found the key to the Motorola Q. The device works great for sms, Email, web, music, media and office documents. However you throw phone features, like making and receiving calls, and the device freezes up. I timed outbound call connection at between 20 & 34 seconds. My estimate is that inbound calls experience the same type of delays in responding to the network. However some times the phone works great. It seems to be the device needs a minimum of 14mb of ram. This doesn't seem like a big obstical until you realize that after the os, and what I consider basic software (Docs to go, spelling sw, Coreplayer etc) it leaves you with about 20MB out of the max 64MB RAM. I find push email & PIM a neccesity. So even with all non-os sw loaded and run off of a 1 gig transflash card, and Good link loaded on my device, I have about 13.8 Mb.

I tried a new HTC-6800 "Mougle" for a weekend. I was impressed by the Sprint Music Store, 2mp camera, bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. I really enjoyed the new email and PIM capabilities found in the Windows Mobile 6 system. Now the PIM allows you to invite attendees to meetings and the calender is much more comprehensive. The office documents where very similar to desktop applications with features like spell check. The Mougle increased the ROM to 128 MB and the processor to 400MHz, however the device only has 64 MB RAM, like the Q. And like the Q when attempting to run multiple apps like media, text & phone, the device started to freeze up; even to the point of not being able to display default background graphics.

So how about a Windows Mobile 6 device with a 400 MHZ processor, 1 gig of ROM and 128 MB of RAM that also supported up to a 4 Gig Trans flash card like the LG 570 Muziq.

Or I could just go back to a Blackberry.

XionXolu

No comments: